Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Week 4: Linda's Diamond, Journal Exercise

Welcome back, everyone.

Here's my baseball diamond (your's may be completely different):

My pitcher is life, sending us fair balls, walks, strike-outs - and not always within our control!

  • First base: Attitude & Intention
  • Second base: Habits & Behaviors
  • Third base: Self-nurturing (someone said "self-basting!")*
  • Home base: Victory: Improving my Life
Now the trick here is that you keep running the bases - forever! Not for a prom dress, not for a wedding, not for a job interview. For the victory of improving our lives.


In group last week, we itemized factors which are "team mates" and "opponents."

Team mates (things that help):
  • Queen Anne Medical Associates, PLLC
  • Partner, kids
  • Like-minded people
  • Comfort
  • Spiritual practice
  • Volunteering
Opponents (things that don't help):
  • Unrelenting food messages and images
  • TV
  • Stress
  • Loneliness/boredom/grief
  • Health issues
  • Resentment
  • Trauma
  • PTSD
There are dozens more, but this gets us started.


Week 4 Exercise:

"If my best friend were in exactly my situation, I would encourage him/her by...."
 

Good luck, get writing.
We're all in this together.
Linda Gromko, MD


*Source may be Dave Barry? Tell me if you know! LG

1 comment:

  1. It's superbowl week. I heard an interview of a player that once played for legendary coach Vince Lombardi, known for getting the best from every player, every game. He said Lombardi told them that they can't be their best just some of the time; they have to be their best every time. Same for us; we do our best professionally day in and day out, but we need to do our best with our nutrition plan the same way, day in and day out. Tough for me . . . .

    ReplyDelete