Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Week 8: No Spanx in Bangkok!

Greetings from Bangkok, where I have been attending the conference of the World Professional Association for Transgender Care.

It's absolutely beautiful here, and I have had three Thai massages: a 120 minute treatment cost me $30.00. Heaven.

The food has been quite heavenly, also. And I have left the Spanx at home, and gone off the grid completely!

Yes, there have been little pancakes with chocolate elephant designs perfectly embossed within. There have been pastries, and I have eaten more cookies than I have eaten in the last 5 years.

So where does this put me in my "Running the Bases" model?

First base: "Attitude and Intention." Well, I intended to enjoy Bangkok and not be so constrained as to disrespect this wonderful journey.

Second base: "Habits and Behaviors." Walking has stayed in the mix, and I have consumed enormous amounts of fresh watermelon and pineapple.

 Third Base: "Self Nurturing." Here, I've achieved HONORS! Three massages - so far, a lovely wool shawl from the Jim Thompson House, and - get this, a handmade quilt with elephants on it - purchased at a tiny market across the river from the hotel.

Home Base: "Reassessment/Self Talk." This is where the drill becomes really critical. If I can happily say, "Yes, I went off the grid for a conference/vacation, but I'm rowing the day after I get back," I'll be perfectly fine. A little damage control needed? You bet. But the point is, if I know I can go off the grid, and keep running those bases, I'm still in the game!

Besides, I know where the Spanx are kept.

Take care,
We're all in this together.

Linda Gromko, MD

No comments:

Post a Comment